Monday, August 30, 2010

Laundry, the never-ending chore

Don't you love it when you finally remember where you put something? Last night I dreamed that the missing hutches from Michael's were in a shoe box. I remembered putting them in there. Sure enough, when I went to look this afternoon, there they were, sitting right on top of the drawers I'd scoured looking for them a few days ago. Since I found the hutches, I set to work on one of them to hold laundry supplies and to cover the awkward doorway opening that's blocked with the large shelf unit in the shop. Still have to figure out something for the opening above it, but the hutch fit in very nicely. The box of Fab came from a Manor House Miniatures grab bag, I think. I made the Bounce and Ivory Snow boxes from Sherree's website on Picasa. The bottles are beads. This is so far back in the room that it can only be seen by peering through a window (through which this photo was taken), so I'm not bothering to put labels on the bottles.
I got the table set with refreshments, coffee and tea, a cherry topped cake I got in a swap a while back, and some brownies from Jennifer McCracken. If somebody recognizes the cake, please let me know. I'd like to give credit where it is due.
The bathroom got some towels and a toilet tissue holder. Still needs a mirror and maybe some shelves with folded towels.
It was getting on toward midnight, so I thought I'd better stop for the night, but the need for an ironing board was weighing on me, so . . . I used craft sticks for the legs. They're a bit oversized, but I figure this board will get a lot of use in the workroom, so it needs to be sturdy. That's my story, and I'm sticking to it. I may paint the legs. The little circles where the dowels poke through annoy me.
I also decided on curtain material for the studio apartment and started pinning in the folds prior to dousing it with hairspray, but I didn't get a picture. I got two curtains pinned, and by then it was after 1 am, so I quit to blog this and get to bed!
Many thanks to everyone who has been leaving such nice comments. I apologize for not answering each one, but the day doesn't seem to have enough hours -- at least not enough hours in which I'm coherent. :)

3 comments:

  1. You have been busy! The hutch looks great - waiting now to see how you deal with the 'hole' above it - a bit of a challenge for you but with your ingenuity I'm sure you'll solve it :)

    I think your 'heavy duty' ironing board is a convincing enough story - they can't all be 'itty bitty pretty' - I guess too you could cover the legs a bit more if you were so inclined by draping more 'ironing' over it. I don't see there is an issue with the dowel holes myself but these little things can bug you once they get a hold sometimes.

    All in all an interesting little project.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Is there a need for large-ish items that could go on top of the hutch? Something like boxes for inventory... or a simple shelving addition to the hutch to make it taller. That way, it looks less "on purpose" and not obvious that you were trying to block an awkward section of the room.

    Can't wait to see what yo come up with!

    I like your ironing board, too. Maybe paint the dowels and dowel ends a "metal" color and they will bug you less?

    ReplyDelete
  3. ¡Cuanto trabajo y que bien! Siempre faltan cosas por aƱadir, pero ya la tienes muy adelantada. Me gusta lo que vas poniendo.
    Besos Clara.

    ReplyDelete