Wednesday, December 12, 2018

Installing the Tape Wire


Previous houses have been lighted using a junction splice and other paraphernalia. The Beacon Hill is getting a new system using a connection block with a fuse from the CR2 system. I described the components and initial trials and tribulations in this post from July 17th. That was five months ago. In November I staged the house to determine where the lights will go and figured out how to hide the connection block. See that post here. I got some advice from a member of the Greenleaf Dollhouse Forum on where to find hookup wire; it seemed silly to buy both red and black, so I bought red.

Today I finally overcame inertia and tucked into the wiring, using the red hookup wire and brass eyelets for connectors. It worked!

The Bambam tool and large brass eyelets make connecting the runs of tape a breeze. The whole first floor is now taped and all segments are live. ☺ The vertical blue tape in the entry hall will connect the ground floor electrical system to the top two floors. No lights have been installed yet. I still need to work out wall treatments before they are attached, but with the Bambam and eyelets, it should not be a problem.



Saturday, November 17, 2018

Electrical Wiring Scheme


Once I had all of the bits necessary for a successful installation of the tape wire system, it was time to stage the furniture to determine once and for all the placement of the tape runs.

Before laying out the tape runs, the dilemma of how to hide the connector had to be solved. I think a bit of garden wall will do the trick.The red sketch is approximate. The final design yet to be determined.
The white donuts mark where lights will be attached to the tape wire. When on the floor, it indicates a ceiling light below.
Bathroom

Bedroom

Middle Floor Hallway

Maid's Room and Top Floor Hallway -- the bed was being auditioned. It is too large, will be replaced by a cot.

Living Room -- rug will probably not remain in here

Ground Floor Entry Hall

Dining Room
Next step: replacing the blue tape with tape wire.

Tuesday, October 2, 2018

Studio Organization


The studio has been in a state of flux since the move-in, a year ago. I've been arranging and re-arranging for most of that time but never quite got it together. With company coming this week, I finally made some serious progress.

Here is a clockwise tour of the room.

The door to the room is to the left, opposite the window.  An old desk has been re-purposed as a worktable.  It is in a good position, near the window, and with a couple of adjustable lamps and the ceiling light, there is all the light I need. The room is carpeted, but the Roomba keeps it relatively tidy. 


Moving around the room in a clockwise direction, this is the view from the doorway. I have a stool stashed out of sight that I use when working on the house. This U-shaped works pace is user friendly. (The luggage rack is awaiting the arrival of my guest. It is not usually in the room.)

The house in progress, the Beacon Hill is sitting on a piece of corrugated cardboard. It slides easily on the table, so the house can be turned around with no fuss. Beneath the table are tubs holding bits and pieces of the BH -- stairs, roof sections, electrical components, etc., that are completed and ready for installation. One tub  holds landscape materials. The egg crate holds moldings and other strip wood. The table under the TV is actually a drafting table, but it is most useful as a flat surface holding a couple of kits. It is a place to put components to one side while glue dries. The tub below holds fabric.
The door leads to the closet. The 6" shelves above the table hold furnishings and accessories, mainly for the Beacon Hill. Below the table, along with a couple storage boxes,  is a lid from a cardboard banker's box that holds materials that can be moved to the desk when needed and tucked away when not needed. I've been mostly sanding and prepping components, so it holds emery boards, gesso, stain, brushes, Exacto knives, etc. The door to the room is immediately to the right of the shelves.
The closet is organized with plastic drawer units from Walmart. The space to the right is 48" wide and holds two units. The bit of pink plastic is part of the second unit. These are not totally useful. Heavier items, like paint, tend to cause the unit to sag, which makes the drawers stick. I'm considering removing the upper shelf and replacing the draw units with wire shelving. The drawers would be stored on the shelves, easy to get to their contents. A couple of the drawers hold bits and pieces of the Beacon Hill, things like windows, shutters, trim, etc., organized and labeled in plastic bags. One drawer holds the bits that were punched out of the sheets; the other holds the bits that have been sanded. 
Shelves and tubs in the garage hold power tools and a makeshift spray booth, a re-purposed large cardboard box. It is still a work in progress. I'd like to add pegboard above the worktable and perhaps get a proper wooden work bench with a vice, but for now the makeshift arrangement suffices. The only power tool in the studio is the pistol-grip Dremel.